Beansntatersmama

This blog will be written by a stay at home mom/student. I am trying to enjoy every minute of life I get and raise my children to be happy with what we have been given. Anything written here will be by me, for my well being and piece of mind. I want to open other peoples eyes, and let them see that we can make it on less.

Monday, September 8, 2008

How many gallons of milk is that?

Well as I've typed to the whole wide world, I am cutting corners everywhere in order to be a stay at home mom, and wife. I use to buy what I wanted with out ever really worrying about it, after all it's only money. Then when you don't have money you realize there is more to life than money. For instance I put my son on the bus every morning with an I love you and I'll see you this afternoon. I think it makes him feel better knowing I'm here waiting on him. As you all know the average price of a gallon of whole milk is around $4.38 give or take a little. We go through on average around a gallon every two days and that's if no one is having chocolate milk and afternoon snacks of cereal. I was going out to the store with my sis yesterday and was talking about my husbands way of spending money and my way of spending money. We look at things totally different. I told her if he wants to buy pizza for instance I measure the price in milk. Say a twenty dollar pizza will buy 5 gallons of milk I know it'll be a little more than that I'm just giving a rough estimate here. If I see something I like or maybe a new outfit for one of the kids I stop and weigh it out. #1 how many gallons of milk will that buy? and #2 do we really need it? Almost 100% of the time I put it back because milk is always more important than looking cute. So if you are like me and trying to cut back I suggest comparing your purchases to something you buy weekly. I know that when I compare my purchases to milk it puts a whole new light on need and want, it makes it easier for me to say no I am not buying that I'll save my money for milk. Hope you can make since out of this and I pray it helps at least one person save some money.

5 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM , Blogger small town city girl said...

Great advice. For us it's gas. How much gas will that buy? We even figure out how much it will cost us to drive somewhere before we go there.

I don't know if you have Safeway or Fred Meyer where you are but milk is much cheaper than that at those two locations near us.

Hope it helps!

 
At September 9, 2008 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Angie said...

It's a crazy world huh? I was going to add you to my followed blogs but it wouldn't pull up smalltowncitygirl should I be using something else?

 
At September 9, 2008 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Angie said...

Oh yeah there is no safeway or fred meyer here. As a matter of fact I don't think we have them in va. at all. I think if I go to sams I can get it for 4 bucks but I spend too much money in sams so I try to stay away unless I need a couple of things. Hope you have a great day.

 
At September 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM , Blogger small town city girl said...

Bummer that you don't have those grocers. Milk is way cheaper tehre, I think I paid $2.75 yesterday. I completely understand staying away from Sams...I avoid Sams and Costco like the plague!

my "official blog url" is

www.asmalltowncitygirl.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading me.

I found you randomly one day and clicked because I liked your picture of skittles. :)

 
At September 12, 2008 at 6:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks anyway, I guess now you will really be comparing gas prices if it goes as high as they say. We live in va. and some of the stations have hiked the price up by a dollar which makes it around 4.99. If it gets any higher my husband will have to come up with a job he can do from home. My son took the picture of the skittles and the leap frog, hubby took the one of the tomato and I'll change them often.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home