Beansntatersmama

This blog will be written by a stay at home mom/student. I am trying to enjoy every minute of life I get and raise my children to be happy with what we have been given. Anything written here will be by me, for my well being and piece of mind. I want to open other peoples eyes, and let them see that we can make it on less.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Sausage gravy. Take a ride on the gravy train...

Well as you all know I am from the south. You can't live below D.C. and not love gravy and biscuits. There is nothing in the world greater than to sit down to sausage gravy, biscuits, a couple of fried eggs, sliced tomatoes, and a cup of coffee. Talk about sticking to your ribs.(and abs, hips, thighs....) Anyway it is very easy and my hubby and boys love it. So without further hesitation here we have it.
  1. 1/2 pound sausage browned and crumbled
  2. milk I normally use powdered milk that I like to keep in fridge just for cooking.
  3. Va. best seasoned flour or any kind and add salt and pepper to taste
  4. Bacon grease or margarine
  5. Biscuits those directions on a previous blog

So obviously you brown your sausage and crumble it all up. I do that as I am frying it. When done remove it and add about 2 tablespoons of grease to your pan. When it has melted add the seasoned flour and take a spatula and spread around until you have a paste. If still allot of extra grease then add more flour and if you add too much flour you can always add more grease. This is not rocket science. Do not feel stressed. Moving the flour around until it gets browned but not burnt is your next job. Then add milk. On a regular sized frying pan I usually add around 1 qt. of milk. Turn the heat up and take a whisk and keep it moving until your gravy comes to a hard boil. Do not let it stick to the bottom of the pan it will burn. Since I mainly use nonstick pans my mom bought me a whisk at the dollar store to make my gravy.(she was tired of watching me use a rubber spatula) When your gravy starts to thicken pretty good turn the heat off and wait on the biscuits. You can't beat this on the weekend or for dinner and talk about a cheap meal that will feed the whole family. You can substitute the sausage with hamburger, turkey burger, deer meat canned or ground. You can even omit the meat and just make the gravy on your bacon grease. Just as with the biscuits the more you make this the easier it gets and better it tastes. Good Luck.

3 Comments:

At September 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM , Blogger small town city girl said...

I'm going to try this! Thanks!! I love me some sausage gravy and this recipe sounds simply delicious!

 
At September 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Angie said...

It is sooo easy and to think I never even tried to make it until I had my own kids.

 
At September 23, 2008 at 6:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could eat this all the time if my hips would let me! lol When preggers with Jenna I loved this for breakfast. If Gar would try it I know he'd love it too. Thanks for reminding me to not forget those good 'ole Southern recipes. Love,Amy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home