Beansntatersmama

This blog will be written by a stay at home mom/student. I am trying to enjoy every minute of life I get and raise my children to be happy with what we have been given. Anything written here will be by me, for my well being and piece of mind. I want to open other peoples eyes, and let them see that we can make it on less.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Starting your own compost bin.

I got a wild hair last year about this time and decided to start my own compost bin.
I took a rubber tote that had a lid, I used my husbands drill to drill holes in the bottom and up the sides of the tore.(a lot of holes) I keep it at my kitchen porch and throw all my scraps in there and this year we will be putting it around the tomatoes. My husband also brought home a big metal barrel that he had drilled some holes in the sides and cut a square out of the bottom so I have started filling that one up.
Things to put in your compost.
coffee, filters and all
tea bags, just take the staple out
newspaper, after you use it to clean the windows
paper scraps as long as they aren't all shiny
Hay, straw, or grass clippings
Old bread, baked goods, pasta
egg shells
sawdust
veggie peels, scraps, leftover soup, or beans
lint from the dryer
And worms leftover from any fishing trip, the boys find them in the yard and put them it the happy worm home.(all you can eat buffet)

That's all folks, hope it was helpful, you should also stir it up periodically but if you dont that's fine too it just takes longer. Keep a lid on it and don't freak because there will be bugs galore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home